Before we launch into the ‘How’, we’re just going to touch briefly on the ‘Why’. You may be wondering why it’s a good idea to list your business on Foursquare? Perhaps you’re wondering what the hell Foursquare is?!
Foursquare is a type of social network that allows people to ‘check in’ using their mobile devices and share their locations with other people. As your check-ins add up, you earn badges and eventually can become the ‘mayor’ of a place once you’ve visited it more than anyone else.
It may seem like a silly concept to some, but for certain types of businesses in particular it can be an incredibly useful marketing tool. Every time people check into your establishment, other people see, which raises awareness for you. Those people can also leave reviews and add pictures, which will further highlight your place to people who come across your Foursquare listing.
Once you are the verified ‘owner’ of a Foursquare listing, you can also use it to advertise specials and promotions and reward your loyal customers.
2. Once, your profile is created, find the Search bar at the top of the page and search for your business. You’re going to need to make sure that there isn’t an existing listing for your place already. If there isn’t, you’ll see it may bring up similar businesses nearby. Look underneath the results on the left hand side of the page and you’ll see a small link that says, ‘Add a new place to Foursquare’. Click it to continue.
3. Fill in your business details in the form. Make sure your business name and address are spelled correctly. If you’re unsure about how to phrase your address, click the Style Guide link for clarification.
4. Once your address is typed in, the map will automatically show you the location, but you’re going to need to add a marker for the exact spot. Click on the area where your place should be and a marker will appear. You can move it around if you need to.
5. If your business has a Twitter handle, it’s a good idea to add yours below.
6. Next you need to specify what kind of business you’re in. The categories can be a bit vague, so you’ll need to try and find the closest thing to what you do. In some cases that may be a bit of a stretch.
7. Press Save and your new place listing will be complete.
8. Ideally, you’ll want to own your place though, so next you’ll need to look in the right hand side of your listing where you’ll find a link that says, “Claim here”.
9. Once clicked you’ll need to complete a short verification process, after which Foursquare will send you a mail confirming your ownership. There are no fees involved. Once you are verified as the owner of the listing you’ll be able to add specials and promotions and keep close tabs on all activity.
10. Lastly, use your personal profile to connect with other Foursquare users in your neighbourhood and make them aware of your place listing. Create lists that tie in with your business to further boost your cred and engage other users. Take pics of your venue using Instagram and tag your location and these will appear on your listing.